Thursday, September 11, 2014

Donate Life



Donate Life


Five years ago today my Uncle Bruce underwent a heart transplant. That day started just like any other. Woke up and began my morning routine when I got a call from my Aunt. My Aunt was calling to let me know the transplant team found a heart for my uncle. My Aunt Joan and Uncle Bruce live in Omaha Nebraska. Omaha is about a five hour drive from my house. Right away I started to put together some clothes in a bag. Within thirty minutes we were on the road headed north to see my Uncle before surgery. A transplant surgery takes a very long time and is very risky so I really wanted to see him before he went into surgery. There is always the change that he wouldn’t make it. We didn’t stop for anything and got there to see my Uncle before they took him back for surgery. The waiting was awful. It seemed like forever until the surgeon came out to tell us he everything went. It was definitely good to make it through the surgery but the healing process can be just as important. Your body will naturally fight off any new organ. Once he was moved into ICU I went in to see him. I knew he was going to be on a breathing machine but it still was very hard. When I saw him all hooked up all over I completely realized how we almost lost him that day. Before his heart condition became worse he would always walk 2-3 miles a day. The dr’s all say if he was not as physically healthy as he was thenhe would not have made it through the surgery. He came through in flying colors!! Now five years later and he is doing fantastic. He not only runs and competes but he scores pretty high up. Way to go Uncle Bruce!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment